Work for Baltimore City this summer as an Urban Park Ranger! Applications due by March 14
The Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks is now accepting applications for Baltimore City Park Rangers. Apply today or find more seasonal employment opportunities on the Department of Recreation and Parks website. Contact Azephra Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Urban Park Rangers will serve as uniformed ambassadors representing the Parks Department protecting the cultural and natural resources of the Baltimore City Parks system. The work of the Rangers includes educating the public about and enforcing the park rules and regulations, providing orientation to individual parks, providing basic visitor services and assistance, and educating the public about the parks system’s historical and ecological value.
Description of Duties
- Patrolling assigned parks and other facilities, on foot, bicycle, and occasionally by motorized vehicle;
- Educating the public about and enforcing park rules, city regulations, and codes as they relate to park usage, including compliance with park use permits;
- Leading and/or Assisting with Department led Bicycle and Canoe & Kayak programs;
- Greeting visitors and providing them with basic visitor services for, orientation to, and general information about Baltimore’s parks and other City attractions;
- Reporting park maintenance issues or hazardous conditions to park maintenance staff;
- Providing general assistance to the public (directions, lost children, lost or loose animals, etc.);
- Providing emergency assistance as necessary — First Aid/ CPR, conflict resolution — contacting emergency personnel (Police/Fire/EMS) when needed;
- Assisting park staff with special events and festivals;
- Performing other duties under general supervision, with some latitude for independent judgment and action;
- Providing daily reports of park activities, usage, and incidents to supervisors.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends;
- Must be in sufficient physical condition to perform Ranger Duties;
- Must be experienced with mountain bike use and be comfortable walking and biking in Baltimore City Parks (20+ miles a day is average);
- Must possess the ability to lift, or cause to be lifted, objects weighing 75 pounds occasionally, 35 pounds frequently;
- Must possess the ability to deal with the public in a courteous manner, use independent judgment in certain situations, lead others in work related activities, think and act quickly in an emergency.
- Must be willing to work during normal seasonal weather conditions.
- Must have above average oral and written communication skills, and be comfortable providing customer service and interacting with people;
- Should have some experience and desire working in an outdoor environment, and be comfortable working with and around plants and animals;
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have reliable transportation – a valid noncommercial Class C motor vehicle operator’s license is preferred, but not required;
- Must be able to pass a drug and alcohol test and physical examination
- Must be willing and able to wear and maintain a uniform in a professional manner;
- High School Diploma (or equivalent); some college preferred, but will consider experience, special skills, or abilities that would provide enrichment to the Urban Park Ranger Program.
- Canoe/Kayak experience is preferred. Candidates with Safe Boating Certificate, Basic Paddling Certificate from the American Canoe Association, and 5 or more years of paddling experience will receive additional rating points on the interview.
For more information regarding the Baltimore City Park Ranger Program, please e-mail email@example.com. You may also contact Azephra Hamilton at 443-677-9694 no later than Wednesday, March 14, 2012