Sasha Gallant at Harlem Park Elementary/Middle School has another update on the Harlem Park/Sandtown Community Garden. Check out our past posts about the garden or read on for details on upcoming events.
As we begin to see some warmer weather, it’s time to get down to business in the Harlem Park/Sandtown Community Garden! We’ve received several grants to help us pursue the next stages of our project (thank you to the Baltimore Community Foundation, the Chesapeake Bay Trust, BVU’s GIVE Program, Blue Water Baltimore and Parks & People Foundation) and we’re ready to get our hands in the dirt. April’s going to be a very busy month for us, and we need your support and participation to ensure the success of this project.
A quick schedule of what’s to come:
- This Friday, April 13th from 10am-3pm, Parks & People will be running a volunteer day with the University of Baltimore to sheet mulch the outdoor classroom site. Parents, families and community members, please come out and join us over the course of the day!
- Next Wednesday, April 18th at 5:30pm, we’ll be holding our first Community Meeting of 2012. Please join us to discuss design, finalize plans for the months ahead, plan our next work days and programs, discuss grants and partnerships, and vote on a name for the garden (finally!)
- Earlier on the 18th, from 10am-1pm, the Environmental Education Team of Parks & People will be working with Baltimore Talent Development HS and Harlem Park ES/MS staff and students to plant about 90 plants in the outdoor classroom space. Again, please feel free to stop by.
- On Saturday, April 21st from 9:00am-12:00pm, we’ll be joined by about 50 volunteers from the GIVE Program of BVU. These young businesspeople are coming in (with supplies, materials and grant funding!) to pick up trash, construct the tables for the outdoor classroom space, plant trees and help us prep the space for Sunday’s community work day! Following the work day, we’ll head over to the West Baltimore Squares Spring Celebration in Franklin Square – please join us!
- Last, but perhaps most importantly, on Sunday, April 22nd (Earth Day!) from 11am-4pm, we will host our first Community Construction and Clean-Up! We’ll be building 15 raised beds for community planting, cleaning up and beautifying the lot, laying mulch and woodchips, and, if time allows, beginning to plant! Please speak with any of your community or religious groups in the area – all families, partners, community members and congregations are invited to attend! Come one, come all – we’ll have refreshments and activities for all ages.
We can’t wait to work with you in the weeks ahead. Please feel free to call or e-mail sasha.gallant [at] gmail.com with any questions, comments or concerns, and spread the word!